Translate

Saturday, November 10, 2012

What A Band Is

I don't even know what to say. When One Direction tells you that they're performing with their best friends, they mean it. I'm so happy today, because I really can understand them. Friday my high school's marching band had the privilege of performing at BOA (Bands of America), and I loved every moment of it. It was so cool that I even let a stranger use my flute.

My band director says that if it weren't for marching band or the winter season (drumline and colorguard), some of our members wouldn't have a family. I know when he says that, he's right. The band is a family, it doesn't matter how well you know the people around you, you just love each other. There was a senior who came up to every individual person in warm-ups, just to wish them good luck and calm everyone down. He said I looked like I was about to pee in my pants. He even took the time to teach me how to breathe! >:D A really good friend of mine accidentally left her marching pants at the school. We immediately had a member of the pit offer to let her have his, because no one would be able to see him behind the keyboard. It's just cool to have people like these around you.

My first season was awesome. End of story. BOA was an incredible experience, even though I was completely sick the last day we were there. Let's just say Lucas Oil Stadium takes on a whole new meaning to a band kid. I'm going to miss all of it, the practices, early report times, long bus rides, and bands kids sitting outside of gas stations singing Hotel California and Summer of '69.

Sure, this isn't like being one of the most popular boy band's ever in history, but I'd say it's just as fun. I'm going to miss it for now, and I can't wait until marching band next year.